Saturday, March 7, 2009

Kayla's Got A Blog/Kayla Tiene Un Blog/Kayla Té Un Blog

English:

So I got a blog. Finally. At Claire's recommendation. Actually, I'd been thinking about it. But then I came up with a clever title, so I actually did it.

This blog's title is actually a complete sentence containing one word each from the Spanish, Japanese, German, Chinese, French/Catalan, and Russian languages, in order. It transliterates, in a Roman alphabet, to "Yo wa spreche jǐn jǐn anglais¡Prostite!", and is supposed to mean, "I only speak English. Sorry."

Though that's not completely true. I speak Spanish (Castillian, well sort of) and am (trying to) learning Catalan. I'm definitely not one of those foreigners who shows up at a restaurant and starts blabbering away in English to her waiter - at least, I aim not to be. I love languages and want to learn them ALL, or rather, as many as I can. At least, I thought that's what I wanted. Being here is hard. Certainly much harder than I ever expected. There are times when I really think, "Yeah, I just want to go back to the States. Now. And never go abroad anywhere again."

They call this kind of thinking "culture shock." I call it "being really, really, REALLY, fucking sad, pissed off, and basically any other sucky emotion you can think of. They say that culture shock goes away with time; I have my doubts sometimes that it will. All that remains to be seen. :)

Though, I must say, there are highs too. For instance, when I have an actual, fluid conversation with someone. That feels really, really good, and is something I have never been so grateful for at home. Also, the people I've met here have been really, really, REALLY wonderful. Seriously... the kids here are great. There was absolutely no reason for them to take me in, let me into their little group, listen to me bitch, moan, and complain - but they do it anyway. It kind of makes me want to cry when I think about it. And my host family, in spite of its flaws, has been great. I've heard horror stories from other exchange students about their insane host families, but mine is just mildly crazy. :P Actually, I don't think it would be fair to go even quite that far.

So, my plan for this blog is to translate everything I write into English, (bad) Spanish, and (worse) Catalan. I'm doing that in that order not because I think any of these languages is inherently superior to the other (at least, not on most days I don't think that way, haha). I'm doing this instead for practicality; I simply have WAY more English-speaking friends than I do Spanish-speaking and Catalan-speaking friends. (For the record, I have friends other than my Catalonia friends who are native Spanish speakers, so again, Castilian takes precedence over Catalan here. Sorry!)

Anyway, I just wanted to keep everybody updated on what I’m doing, as well as my thoughts and feelings about being abroad. Who knows? Maybe it’ll even be entertaining!

Take care and thanks to everyone.
-Kayla

Castellano:

Pués conseguí un blog. Según la recomendación de Claire. De hecho, lo había estado considerando. Y más tarde se me ocurrió un título ingenioso, y finalmente lo hice.

El título de este blog es realmente un frase completo conteniendo una palabra sola de los idiomas de castellano, japonés, alemán, chino, francés/catalán, y ruso, en orden. Se transcribe, en un alfabeto romano, como «Yo wa spreche jǐn jǐn anglais¡Prostite!» y debe traducir (con esperanza) a «Hablo solamente inglés.¡Lo siento!»

Sin embargo, esa no es la verdad completa. Hablo castellano (más o menos y mal), y estoy (tratando) aprendiendo catalán. No soy el tipo de americana que viene a un restaurante y que echa a cotorrearle en inglés a su camarero – por lo menos, intento no ser así. Me encantan los idiomas y quiero aprender TODOS, sino, tantos como pueda. Por lo menos, pensaba que quería eso. Pero estar aquí es difícil. Sin duda mucho más difícil que había esperado. Hay tiempos en que pienso en serio, «Vale… solamente quiero regresar a los Estados. Ahora. Y no ir al extranjero otra vez nunca.»

Se llama este tipo de pensar «el choque cultural.» Lo llamo yo «ser muy, muy, MUY putada triste, enojada, y básicamente cualquier otro humor mal de que se puede pensar.» Se dice que el choque cultural desaparece con tiempo, pero a veces tengo mis dudas que sí. Todo eso… tendremos que ver. :)

Aún así, he de decir que hay altas también. Por ejemplo, cuando tengo una conversación real y fluida con alguien. Eso siente tan, tan bien y es algo que nunca he agradecido tanto en casa. También, la gente a quien he conocido han sido muy, muy, MUY maravillosa. En serio… los chicos aquí son sensacionales. No había ningún razón para ellos aceptarme, dejarme ser parte de su grupo, escucharme quejándome – pero de todos modos lo hacen. Me hace querer llorar un poquito cuando lo pienso. Y mi familia de acogida, a pesar de sus faltas, ha sido muy buena. He oído cuentos de terror de otros estudiantes de intercambio sobre sus familias de acogida loquísimas, pero la mía solamente es un poquito demente. :P De hecho, no pienso que sea completamente justo decir eso.

Vale, mi plan por este blog es traducir todo que escribo a inglés, castellano (mal), y catalán (peor). Voy a hacerlo así no porque pienso que uno de estos idiomas es inherentemente mejor que los otros (por lo menos, en la mayoría de días no pienso así, jaja). Sino, lo hago para lo práctico; sencillamente, tengo muchos más amigos anglohablantes que amigos hispanohablantes. En torno, tengo amigos cuyo idioma nativo es castellano, pues otra vez, aquí el castellano tiene prioridad sobre el catalán. ¡Lo siento!

De todos modos, solamente quería manteneros informados de lo que estoy haciendo y de mis pensamientos y sentamientos sobre estar al extranjero. ¿Quién sabe? ¡Quizás sea entretenido!

Ciudaos y gracias a todos,
Kayla

Català:

Ehhhh…. Jo penso que no seria una idea bona tratar traducir aqueste a català. Perque.... ja sabeu que el meu català… és merda. De fet és inexistent.

Ho sento. :( Estic treballent en aquet.... A veure, a veure!

3 comments:

  1. So,
    a) cool blog, seems like a fun thing to do though it'll take forever to translate every entry!
    b) where in Catalonia are you and for how long are you staying there?
    c) how are you? Meaning you should write some more about your life..;)
    Hugs, Eva

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whoa, whoa, whoa, is this Eva Nohe?

    How are you???

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, and to answer your questions, hahaha...

    I am outside of Barcelona, in Sant Cugat. I've been here for a month now, which I absolutely cannot believe, and I'm staying here until the end of June.

    How am I doing? It's rough. It's really rough. But I like it... it's getting better, you know? It's an adjustment being in a foreign country and immersing yourself in a foreign language. But you know that. :)

    I will keep this updated with details about how I am. Thank you for your support! Take care. :) :)

    ReplyDelete